09 September 2007

Crafty

I've always harbored this secret idea that I was crafty. Not artistic, mind you-- that takes another whole level of talent. I'm no Martha Stewart, but slapping together a wreath or heat-and-bonding some curtains, not a problem.

Lately I've been thinking that I needed to do something more creative. I realized this when I was looking at one of those silly surveys and it asked what my hobbies were. Hobbies?? What hobbies. My hobby used to be reading, but now that's what I do for a living. When I was younger, I danced, but those days are long over. I realized that I have no hobby--nothing that interests me outside of work. So, I decided to change.

I think I went a little overboard.

Project 1- Fall Wreath- I've wanted to make a new wreath for our front door for about 6 months now, but all of the silk sunflowers looked to cheesey. Enter fall decorations and voila--I bought myself some fixin's for a wreath. I'll post pics when it's all finished.

Project 2- Transform Little Man into Fat Elvis for Halloween- Sure, anyone can make their little one into an adorable woodland creature, but I wanted to make him something he'll look back and cringe with wonder at. Now here's the catch-- the only thing I've really ever sewed all by my lonesome were some pillow covers. And that took me two days. I'm convinced, however, that I can sew him a halloween costume completely from scratch. I have the white polyester fabric all cut. It took me the better part of three hours, but sitting in my kitchen is one disassembled white jumpsuit. I even got the sewing machine "fixed" (I say fixed with scare quotes, because there wasn't anything wrong with it. I just had to clean off the lint.) All that's left is to figure out how to thread the machine--it's a beauty- a 1950-something dusty-coral Singer. Then I need to put together the jumpsuit (which is really a Raggedy Andy pattern) and transform it into Fat Elvis. Complete with stuffing. It will be a thing of beauty.

or it will be a complete failure and J will never let me live it down.

Project 3: The Baptismal Quilt- When Little Man was born, I wanted to make some sort of heirloom something or other out of my grandmother's wedding dress, but I never got around to it, but Middle-bro and SIL asked J and I to be godparents to little Mo. What could be a better excuse.

At first, I thought I'd find someone to transform the gown for me. Then I went to Jo-Ann's and convinced myself that I was capable of quilting. Me--who has never sewn anything but a pillow cover decided that I would make, nay, quilt a baptismal blanket.

So there you have it-- I've gone absolutely delusional and have started three separate projects all at once. I'll have updates coming up soon-- complete with pictures

No comments: