26 July 2007

Yummmmm

Today J and I had some extra time for lunch, so we decided to try out the new Greek place in town. For those of you around CU that haven't heard, Pickles is now Papa George's. Except it's also still Pickles.

I know. I don't get it either.

But if you can get past the faux Applebee atmosphere and the fact that the woman sitting next to you is eating a enormous taco salad, I'd highly recommend checking out their Greek menu. Papa George's has had a booth at the Farmer's market for the last few months, and I've been happily eating breakfast, I mean sampling their food whenever we go. They mostly did catering before, so I'm especially glad to be able to get some of their Spanikopita without having to order enough for 12. I think that the new owners are trying to ease into the whole restaurant shtick, seeing how the restaurant still serves the Pickles' menu. The Greek menu isn't anything overly imaginative, just the usual: Greek Salad, Spanikopita, Dolmades, Souvlaki, some sort of grilled lamb, and (of course) baklava. At first, the prices seemed a little steep--$6 for a side salad, but when it came I could see why. The salads have a huge amount of this delicious imported feta on them and the homemade dressing should really be bottled and sold somewhere.

All this is to say, I hope that they keep expanding the menu. I think they will--I heard the owner/manager say something to someone about flaming cheese (oopa!). But I definitely can't wait to go back.

No comments: